Monday, April 11, 2011

Reselling furniture my out of style money maker

Last fall I tried my hand at reselling furniture. I have to say, I found don’t have much patience for painting!

This was my 1st find. A $5 impossible to fit in a corner, hexagon shaped table that my mom thought I should keep. I actually think it looked pretty nice.

They wanted $8 for it and I offered $5. They said sure and I crammed it in my car. Very odd shaped.

I then took it apart and quickly realized that even though it was heavy, it wasn’t solid wood. Just the doors. I took the ancient knobs off.

I was going to just spray paint it but had to start with a primer first because of the slick wood that would not sand because it wasn’t real wood.

The black didn’t go on too well, and then I sanded with 120 instead of 220 so I had to paint it again. Finally I walked over to our neighbors and borrowed a gallon of her black paint she finished her kitchen table with. I am now a big fan of the sponge rollers.

I used all disposable things I had on hand, but then washed them all. I didn’t mean to, I just thought I could get them clean and then it would have cost me nothing to do this!

100_6276

And clean I did get them!

100_6279

Handles were another problem. I think I made 2 trips to Lowes and bought 3 different sets before I found the right ones.

IMG_0822

Here she is! Complete with handles and distressing. I put her on Craigslist for $45 and waited for some bites.

I got the 1st email the next morning. (Friday Morn) She wanted to come look at it Saturday. I said fine if I still had it. I got 2 more interest but never heard back from them. Right after them the lady came to buy the hexagon table. Bought it for $40 and talked about switching the handles out. That hurt. I spent a lot of time picking those out & drilling the holes just right! Oh, well. $40-$5 is nice!


Posted on:





2 comments:

  1. Good job. I am also in the process of painting a piece of furniture with black paint, using a sponge roller. But I really have to laugh because I think I have this exact end table in my basement. I got it years ago! It looks so much better painted black!
    Thanks for linking this to my Organizing Mission link party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table turned out great and I am glad you sold it so quickly. Thanks for joining the Open House party this week.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete